Saturday, March 18, 2006

Tips on Freelancing and Getting Published

People often contact me asking for advice on getting published, breaking in as a freelancer, coming up with story ideas, you name it. I've often told myself I'd come up with a FAQ page, or maybe even write a short book on the topic, but I've never had time. So I'm very pleased to say that Elaine Vitone, an MFA student in the University of Pittsburgh's nonfiction writing program (where I went to grad school, and where I was a visiting teacher last semester) has taken several handouts I wrote, combined them with a lengthy phone interview she did with me, and turned them into a great sort of Conversation With Rebecca Skloot. The document will be available soon as part of a guidebook for writing students in Pitt's graduate program. I'm posting it here with hopes that it will provide useful information for those who contact me seeking tips. Many thanks to Elaine for putting it together.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked up this guide at the 2006 Nieman Conference and have found it very useful as I ready myself to switch careers and interest editors in some cracking ideas for features.

Recommended. Thanks Rebecca.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hi Rebecca,
I've really enjoyed your helpful and direct advice on starting off as a freelancer. I was wondering, when you pitch a book review to a newspaper, do you have a book in mind, or do you just explain your experience and offer your services?
Thanks!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Skloot said...

Glad you've found these tips useful. I actually put together a whole tips page on book reviewing, which you can read on this page of the National Book Critics Circle's website. That should answer most of your questions on breaking into book reviewing.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home