Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Personal Update and Interesting Stuff

My blog has been a bit quite for the last few days because my 95 year-old grandmother died, and I've been busying myself with her funeral and lots of time with family. My grandmother (who my father has written about in several books) was theatrical, and she loved Broadway like nothing else, so we memorialized her by seeing a smashing performance of Spamalot. And now, as I head out of town for a few days with the family, I leave you with these thoughts:

It's finally legal to get a tattoo in Oklahoma (I had no idea it was illegal!)

Mixologists are throwing science at alcohol with some crazy (and surely expensive) results

Abstinence only advocates are causing problems again

A non-profit organization has launched a website that assigns grades to health stories that appear in the press -- I have to check it out more when I get back to town. I'm curious about who runs the place ...

And the New York Times ran a creepy story that introduces a new extreme strategy for protecting yourself and your family from genetic discrimination -- stealing your own medical records. It'd be much safer and more effective to enact those laws people keep talking about that would make genetic discrimination illegal.

That's all for now, our regularly scheduled blogging will return next week ...

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Times piece on medical records was interesting, but the act described seems pretty desparate and pointless in 2006. Patients who want to "privatize" their medical records have their work cut out for them, given the propensity in medicine to generate multiple copies of things. Even if patients do it just to give themselves the impression that they're controlling their medical data, they better hurry up with the excising. It will pretty tough to tear out pages from an electronic medical record. Even if you could, something tells me that if one insurance company knows about all my bad genes, a lot of others will too.

(What a wonderful gift that your grandmother lived 95 years...)

4:24 PM  
Blogger MT said...

Sorry about your grandma. Very happy to discover your blog!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my deepest condolences to you and yours.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home