Thursday, January 04, 2007

Why is it So Damn Hard to Change?

This month's O, Oprah Magazine just hit the stands with my article, "Why is it So Damn Hard to Change," which looks at the neurology behind why it's so friggin hard to break old habits and pick up new ones (just in time for all those New Year's Resolutions). The story explores the workings of the human brain when it comes to exercising and dieting, quitting smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling ... you name it. I had a great time with it.

If you've read the story and came looking for a follow up ... well ... let's just say, it hasn't exactly been rollerblading weather in New York City lately. But I'm about to join a gym ... stay tuned for progress reports on what my dopamine system thinks of that idea.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becka---I am so proud of you, you caanot possibly imagine!!! I loved your Oprah article--it may be just that final thing clicking into place to assure my weight loss success and lifestyle change re food! We'll see

Jean Johansson
gorgonb@aol.com

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw the headline on Oprah's magazine and I kept thinking about it. Sorry I could not afford to buy the magazine, but I was so interested that I looked it up on Google and there you were with your blog and a .PDF version of the article. Hard to change - wow it sure is!!

Thanks! Great article.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the magazine at the spa on my 33rd birthday. It was like a lightbulb: Oh THAT'S what I need to do remind myself that I love exercise! Okay that was 2 months ago, but I'm putting it into practice this week. I was pleased to find the article online so I could show it to some friends. I don't usually read the magazine and I was surprised to find something so well-researched and comprehensive, but with your personal touch as well.
Thanks, great article.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your article was the first article I've ever read in the Oprah magazine and I LOVED IT! I work in psychiatry but have never heard change put quite like this. It also give me hope that when I find my "dope" (dopamine) that I will make it in losing weight. GREAT WORK!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Hi Rebecca. Incredible article! I'm a gastric bypass post op and I wish I had learned this beforeI had the surgery. I would have understood what was happening with alcohol and would have stopped immediately. Good thing that I am only at the beginning stages of addiction transfer and I'm working hard to change my dopamine addiction! (Currently it's an old version of Dance Dance Revolution) But this is not going to prevent me from sharing this article with my support group!! Thank you so much!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home