Sunday, March 18, 2007
- Name: Rebecca Skloot
- Location: New York City, New York
Rebecca Skloot is a freelance writer, contributing editor at Popular Science magazine, and sometimes-correspondent for NPR's RadioLab. She writes a monthly column on Pets for Prevention magazine, and contributes regularly to the New York Times Magazine, O, The Oprah Magazine, Discover, and others. Her first book, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", is forthcoming from Crown. She posts on two blogs: Culture Dish -- her blog about science, writing and life -- and Critical Mass, the blog of the National Book Critics Circle board of directors, on which she serves as a vice president. Skloot teaches creative nonfiction writing in the University of Memphis's MFA program, where she directs the River City Writers Series. For more information: www.rebeccaskloot.com .
Recent Favorite Posts
- ~ Tips on Freelancing and Getting Published
- ~ A Congressional Investigation: Researchers Profiting off Human Tissues Without Consent
- ~ The Bogus-ness of DNA Testing for Genealogy Research
- ~ Tissue Ownership Update I: William Catalona v. Washington University, plus Catalona Update II and Catalona Update III
- ~ Fake Blood and Research Ethics
- ~ Finishing my Book
- ~ How Science Finally Vindicated My Hate of Showering
- ~ Contageous Yawning (and celebrety teeth and unpopped popcorn kernels)
- ~ On Writing: Country Roads Take Me Home
- ~ On Writing: Flabby Coverage
- ~Mediascope: My Column on The Science Behind Confused Media Reports>
- ~ On Writing: New New Journalism
- ~ On Writing: Driving at Night
- ~ Of Note: Scientists Finally Quell My Quicksand Phobia
- ~My Website
- ~Critical Mass: My other blog life
- ~Floyd Skloot: Poet, Essayist, Novelist, Father
- ~Beverly Hallberg: Expressionist Painter, Musician, Step-Mother
- ~David Prete: Actor, Author & Readings Coach
- ~Collision Detection: Clive Thompson's Ever Brilliant Blog
- ~The Bioethics Weblog: The best way to start each day
- ~Cute Overload: What can I say ... I'm addicted to this site
- Scienceline.org~The Wonderful Online Science Magazine from the SHERP Program at NYU
- ~Contentious: Amy Gahren's incredibly useful blog about blogging
- ~The National Book Critics Circle: Where all my free time (and not-so-free-time) goes
- ~Full directory of links available on my website
- ~The Ever-Evolving List of Book-Related Links I post on the NBCC's Site
- Bush Pushes Genetic Privacy Legislation
- Tsunami Victims Selling Their Kidneys Instead of F...
- Study Shows Patients Have Issues With Tissue Resea...
- A Sad Day: FDA Approves First Dog Obesity Drug
- Why is it So Damn Hard to Change?
- How to Teach Kids About Puberty
- Study Shows Female Comic Book Characters Too Skinn...
- 2006 Year in Ideas
- Best Science Books