Monday, May 14, 2007

On The Road Again

For those wondering why my blog has been so quiet lately, here's why: I've accepted a faculty position at The University of Memphis, where I'm moving in exactly two weeks (which explains why I've had this great song stuck in my head for months). I'm really excited about the move (the food! the music! the Reverend Al Green! Elvis! the mississippi delta! huge fenced-in backyard for the dogs! kool-aid pickles!?), and about working with such great writers in the MFA program there, where I'll teach creative nonfiction. The plan at this point: Live in Memphis during the academic year, and spend the rest of the year back in NYC and in my native Portland, Oregon.

The hiring process, combined with deadlines, teaching at NYU, and my work with the National Book Critics Circle have left this poor blog a little quiet. That will likely continue through the summer as I settle and get my book ready to go out into the world. But stay tuned for all kinds of interesting Memphis stories ...

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, girl.

4:14 PM  
Blogger rb said...

hey! congratulations!

10:30 PM  
Blogger John Dennehy said...

Congrats...

I thought you were going to say, "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again."

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,

Congratulations on your new job, and your move, which I imagine will give you a bit more space to think in than your tiny New York apartment that you have mentioned here before.

By the way, the link to your fish surgery article is broken.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Skloot said...

Thanks for the congrats, and for letting me know about the broken link. All fixed now.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca,

Love the blog... I am a Canadian transplant to South Carolina now living in Tennessee for a couple of months... welcome to the South! Everyone here real has been so friendly...

Mariam

3:24 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Good luck in Memphis.

I can't help but offer these alternatives to the pop song: http://play.rhapsody.com/lylelovett/joshuajudgesruth/ivebeentomemphis?didAutoplayBounce=true

http://www.rhapsody.com/lylelovett/stepinsidethishouse/memphismidnightmemphismorning/lyrics.html

9:42 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Skloot said...

Oh, excellent ... I've been looking to build my Memphis song collection ... these are great. Thanks!

11:01 AM  
Blogger JMW said...

Hope you're enjoying Memphis. To add to the song recommendations, Kelly Willis' version of "That's How I Got to Memphis" (a Tom Hall song) is terrific.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home