Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Having a Good Pet Death

My latest pets column, The Good Good-Bye, has just hit the stands in the July issue of Prevention Magazine. As you'll see, it's about something near and dear: Dealing with the loss of a pet both emotionally, and logistically.

In my 10 years as a veterinary technician, I helped euthanize many animals, including one of my own, so I understand that side of the death experience all too well. What I didn't know until I set out to write this column was what an enormous industry pet death has become: You can get an incredible variety of pet urns and coffins (including lifesized ones), you can have your pet's hair or ashes turned into a diamond, you can cryopreserve your pet in case science catches up with science fiction to make cloning possible (don't count on that one), you can even have your pet freeze dried in a variety of natural positions, so you can keep it with you at home looking frighteningly lifelike. Okay, yeah: Some of it is definitely bizarre. But hey, like I said in my column, if this stuff helps people recover from losing pets, who cares it seems weird to others.

On another note: I've finally arrived in Memphis, where I'm surrounded by boxes and lacking an Internet connection at home. So this blog will continue to be pretty quiet for a while. But more news from The South soon ...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Randy Hurst said...

Something along these lines that you might want to archive:
http://togetheroneservant.blogspot.com/2007/02/reo-dandy-dane.html

Thanks for your insights! Randy

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice dog story. I had to put down my first real dog, that is, the first dog that was truly mine, several years ago. He always wanted to be with me, and he still is, in a floral tin in my book cabinet in my home office.
Glad you like Lyle. I'm a faithful follower of his Texas gospel. His concerts are outstanding.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm adding this comment a long time after you posted this blog entry, but I wanted to add that there are also pet loss support groups all over the country to help people cope with the loss of a beloved pet, which can be just as challenging as losing a human loved one, if not more because the grief is not generally shared with others in the same way. Folks can check with their local SPCA or Humane Society to find out if this type of support is available.

As a former Humane Society chaplain, I'm heartened to know that you're writing about this important issue. Thanks!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Peggy Frezon said...

I appreciated finding your nice blog entry on the loss of a pet. I am a writer for Guideposts magazine, and when our yellow lab passed away two summers ago, it helped me to write about him and share my feelings with supportive and understanding readers. This is an issue most pet lovers must face eventually, and it helps to read about the emotional--and practical--aspects of dealing with the loss of a pet. Thanks! Peggy

2:41 PM  
Blogger Azri said...

Hi,
Wow it an interesting post. For me some of it scares me like keeping a dead pets with you. I don't think i will do that. But it is ok for me if anyone would like to do it. For me it is enough if i just can keep my pet's photo with me forever....:)

Cheers,
Pet Treadmills

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home