Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Assistance Monkeys, Ducks, Parrots, Pigs and Ducks ... Should the law protect them? My Latest New York Times Magazine Story

Update: The Culture Dish move is now complete, and the new Culture Dish feed is now live. Please update your subscription and we'll see you over on the new site!

I know, I told you Culture Dish was moving, and it did. But I've been having problems with the new site (hard-to-read font, plus its feed isn't activated yet, alas), so I wanted to post a quick note here to let folks know about my latest New York Times Magazine story, Creature Comforts, which just went online today. It's about the use of nontraditional service animals -- including monkeys, miniature horses, parrots, snakes, goats, even ducks -- and the legal battles surrounding them. The print version will hit the stands this Sunday. I've posted about the story in detail on my new blog, along with photos of the animals I wrote about, video footage of Panda the guide miniature horse, and much more. So come check it out.

Photo caption: Skloot interviewing Richard the agoraphobia service monkey ...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger April Henry said...

I loved the story!

I used to work at Kaiser with your mom, Betsy, back when I was first thinking I wanted to be a writer like your dad. As soon as I saw your name, I knew you had to be related.

Congrats on your upcoming book,

April
aprilhenry.livejournal.com

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca Skloot, upon reading your story about unusual servive animals, I am reminded of a friend who has a rat, pet rat, as a service animal. Her rats were trained by her daughter who trains service dogs, as well. Her story may be cool for an addition to yours. Would you like her info, email?

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home